What is Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is painless procedure in which your trained esthetician uses a sterile scalpel blade to gently exfoliate the top layer of skin. This removes all vellus hair (baby hair), dead skin, bacteria, impurities and dirt from the face. It leaves you with smooth, even, glowing skin. The results of this deep exfoliation will last up to 4 weeks.
What are the benefits of this treatment?
This exfoliation has so many benefits for our skin!
- Unwanted hair removal with no irritation
- Stimulates new and healthy skin cells to grow
- Significantly smooths skin
- Helps to even out tone of the skin
- Allows products to better penetrate, allowing you to use less and see better results
- Instantly you will see a healthy glow of the skin, no downtime, no peeling
What does the treatment feel like?
Dermaplaning is a completely painless treatment that does not require the use of any numbing agents. Compare it to the feeling of shaving your legs. Your skin will first be cleansed and dried, then The Ladies of LV pull the skin of the face taut so we can safely use the scalpel to do swift strokes to scrape dead skin and fine hairs from the top layer of skin.
Will my facial hair grow back thicker?
Have no fear, the hair of the face will not be affected by this treatment. It is important to distinguish that there are two types of hair on our bodies; Vellus and Terminal hair. Vellus hair is on places like our faces, ears, hands and remains baby fine for our whole lives. Terminal hair is driven by genetics and hormonal changes and grows thicker and darker depending on the individual. You will find terminal hair on the underarms, legs, bikini and arms.
Is Dermaplaning good for everyone?
Many people will reap the benefits of Dermaplaning but unfortunately it is NOT suitable for everyone. Here is a list of people who should avoid Dermaplaning;
- People with thick, dark facial hair as the blade can easily catch nick the skin (i.e beards, lots of hormonal hair)
- People with severe acne, exceptionally oily skin or active breakouts. This treatment can rupture acne and spread the bacteria that causes acne, which will in turn cause more breakout.
- People who are prone to hyperpigmentation (spots, scarring) are not recommended to receive Dermaplaning. It can leave blotchy, discoloured skin.
- People who are susceptible to rashes or cold sores. Dermaplaning can cause flare-ups of these symptoms.
Here is a list of people who will greatly benefit from Dermaplaning;
- People with superficial hyperpigmentation. This deep exfoliation will help hyperpigmentation work its way out of the skin making way for new, healthy radiant skin.
- People with fine lines. This treatment smooths the skin so much that you will see an amazing reduction, if not total removal of fine lines. Unfortunately deeper wrinkles won’t respond the same.
- People with mild acne scars. Dermaplaning will stimulate new, healthy skin, helping old scars heal.
- Pregnant women! Because women who are pregnant should not be using any harsh chemical agents such as deep chemical peels, we recommend looking to Dermaplaning instead.
How often should I receive this treatment?
Dermaplaning is an intense exfoliation that will remove weeks of dead skin cells. This means it is vital to let the skin fully rejuvenate between treatments. Over exfoliating can cause sensitization, redness, sensitivity, hyperpigmentation, and breakouts. This is why the Ladies of LV recommend schedule your Dermaplaning treatments one month apart.
Caution to the wise!
Dermaplaning will make you extremely sensitive to the sun post treatment. It is IMPERATIVE that you protect your skin with SPF and minimize your sun exposure for one week after treatment so your skin has time to fully heal. Too much sun exposure can cause extreme burns, hyperpigmentation and scarring. No matter what time of year be diligent about applying SPF before you enjoy the sun.
Lily of the Valley – Esthetics will be offering this service beginning March 1st, 2020. The Ladies of LV are incredibly excited to bring in this service and can’t wait to provide their clients will some beautiful results. More information regarding pricing and service time to come February 17th, 2020. If you have any other questions about this treatment or would like to book a session, contact the Ladies of LV via e-mail, Instagram or Facebook.
Leave a Reply